THE ROBIN CANCER TRUST
The Robin Cancer Trust is this year's chosen charity for Only Fools Ride Horses 2019! We are the UK’s only germ cell cancer awareness charity - through attending events, using the power of social media and delivering educational talks, we raise awareness of testicular and ovarian cancers in young adults. Our dedicated campaigns highlight the importance of early detection, promote awareness of the signs and symptoms and tackle the ’embarrassment factor’ in young men and women. Since 2012, we have reached over 10 million people online, with a social following of over 50,000 – and have directly reached more than 135,000 people at events across the UK. Our mission is to raise awareness, reduce embarrassment & save lives.
The Robin Cancer Trust was founded in 2012 by the Freeman family following the untimely death of their son and brother, Robin Freeman, aged just 24. Robin was diagnosed in the prime of his life in 2011 with a Mediastinal Germ Cell Tumour (a grapefruit-sized tumour in his chest). Following 10 months in treatment, including several rounds of chemotherapy and a stem-cell transplant, he was told there was nothing else his medical team could do. He passed away surrounded by his loved ones on December 10th 2011. His family promised him that ‘he would never just be a photograph on the wall’ and that something good would be born of his tragedy. Robin inspires us to raise awareness, reduce embarrassment and save young lives through the early detection of germ cell cancers. We want to prevent another family from going through what we did.
All donations will help us continue our charitable work in the community - delivering awareness information directly to young adults through educational talks at local schools, colleges & businesses - reaching thousands of people at events & festivals across the region, and millions of young men & women online through our life-saving social media campaigns. Your donations fund our life-saving cancer-education campaigns:
- £5 - could pay for 300 germ cell cancer awareness cards to be handed out at events throughout the year
- £10 - could allow us to deliver our life-saving educational campaigns to over 1,000 young adults online
- £25 - could deliver awareness information directly to 650 every month via our signs & symptoms text-reminder service
- £50 - could pay for a life-saving awareness talk to be delivered to students at local schools, colleges & businesses
- £100 - could pay for a prosthetic testicular self-exam model so we can educate young men on how to check themselves regularly
- £500 - could pay for 1,600 testicular & ovarian cancer awareness packs to be handed out to students at a university fresher's fair
Thank you for your support - together we can raise awareness, reduce embarrassment & save lives.
ABOUT THE RACE
Stick a pony in me pocket….. Only Fools Ride Horses is a 5K / 10K themed Obstacle Race over a cross country equestrian course! The race takes you over – 30+ obstacles, tough hills, water, woodland, some Del Boy challenges and plenty of surprises! Only Fools Ride Horses is low on the mud factor, but what it lacks in mud – it makes up with pure FUN! (please note, this is not a timed event) Every runner will receive…
- Pukka Races Custom Medal
- Pukka Races t-shirt
- Free Race Photos
- Free Bag / Key Drop